Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Church cookbooks

Recently I pulled out the two church cookbooks I own, trying to find some new ideas for dinner, especially meals the kids will eat.

Before I met my sister-in-law, I never glanced at a church cookbook. I have been a slave to cookbooks put together by famous chefs.

One day said sister-in-law was was going through my cookbooks, also trying to get new ideas and mentioned how great church cookbooks are. She said "if you think about it, everyone they know is going to see this recipe and possibly try it, why would they put a bad recipe in the book?"

You know what, she was right. These two cookbooks have been my top choices as of late and I have not found a bad recipe yet.

I especially love the one my mom gave me from their church in New Jersey. A lot of Italians live in that area, go to that church and have added their authentic, ethnic, wonderful recipes.

Avery made most of this dessert tonight and I wanted to share. It was delicious and simple!

Apple Crisp
5 C apples, sliced and pared
1/4 C water
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1 C sugar (you could easily go with less, but it was super yummy this way)
1/3 C butter or margarine
3/4 C flour

Spread apples evenly in a greased 8x8x2 pan. Sprinkle water, cinnamon and salt over apples. Mix together sugar, butter and flour. Sprinkle this on top of the apples and bake uncovered for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves 6 people.

2 comments:

  1. Writing for Serious Eats, I've been looking at tons of recipes recently, and I've found that stuff written by 'real people' is often the best for a home kitchen! So many times I've looked at something written by a famous chef and it's had a zillion expensive spices/kitchen equipment I don't have or incredibly unclear directions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Mary! While I am adventurous in the kitchen, I draw the line when I don't know 2-3 ingredients, where to find them in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete