Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Quotes to live by

Now that we are settled, I have taken some small steps to reclaim 'me'. I love being a mom to these three beautiful children, and being a mom has brought so much out of me I never knew I had, but I also lost a little bit of myself in the baby/early childhood stages (throw in four moves and I kind of feel like I boxed myself up long ago and didn't unpack myself until now!).


Some quotes have resonated with me lately:
Decide you want it more than you are afraid of it. Bill Cosby

Do the thing you think you can't.
Not sure of author, but my neighbor made shirts with this quote for a Mother's Day fun run.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. Neale Donald Walsch


Going back to work, especially to writing was a HUGE step in the right direction for me. Deciding to run a half marathon in November has been another. Neither of these were on my radar a few months ago, and if you had told me a year ago that I would be doing either, I would have laughed. They are new adventures, pushing limits I love to push and I am doing them, happily.

But just this morning, while running, an old friend came to visit. I noticed a voice in my head urging me to take the short cuts to get home, a voice saying,
"You'll never make it the whole way".

As soon as I heard this, I got angry.

For too long I let my highschool English teacher's words sting,
"This is the worst piece of writing I have ever read!"

To allow myself to listen to these voices, whether in my head or aloud from others, and hold them true is lunacy. To have these voices create fear and intimidation is stupidity. I have been a stupid lunatic for far too long. I have let words hold me captive, control me, leaving me boxed up with little adventure and many limits.

I have realized that when I control my thoughts, I have more freedom to live.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Susan - When you wrote "that when I control my thoughts..." that really got ME thinking. We do control our own thoughts don't we???

    That is going to be rolling around my head for a few days, but only because I want it to.

    ReplyDelete