Sunday, June 17, 2012

summer projects


Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Insert blushing face now. 
The last month of school activities were crazy which left me little time to do much else including updating the blog. Which is unfortunate because the kids had some great achievements, funny quotes, fantastic photo opportunities. But I refuse to beat myself up about it. I do enough of that thinking about their baby albums...let me rephrase, their unfinished baby albums for my children who are now 8, 6 and 3.

We had a fantastic spring break. Which lead me to believe summer was going to be a lot of fun. Yet there was still some fear that the fighting, whining and "I'm bored" comments would begin within moments of packing away backpacks for fall retrieval.

Our first week of summer break has been very successful and I attribute its' ease to having a plan. As summer approached I sat down with a friend of mine and we planned our summer. We planned our days, which turned into weeks which made it look like summer would actually fly by faster than we would like.

So far the kids have really liked their scheduled days (Monday through Friday). On that schedule, I have picked a big craft for the kids and I to complete each week. This week included tooth pillows! Each child helped make this adorable soft place to hold their loose teeth (in the tooth's mouth!) in anticipation of the tooth fairy. The idea came from this lovely book I received as a gift for my birthday.


Yes, we have only completed week one. But I am hopeful our plan will be a continued success, especially with fun crafts like this one.

1 comment:

  1. Funnily enough, I can recall making tooth fairy pillows in first grade (little pillows with a 'pocket' for the baby tooth)...it's so nice to see that some things don't change.

    I also remember really enjoying summer crafts, particularly ones which were messy, outdoor activities involving paint and glitter that I couldn't do inside during the winter. I can see now from my mom's perspective that being able to hose the kids off afterward before they go back in the house has its advantages!

    ReplyDelete