Monday, July 19, 2010

Thank goodness he was bleeding



As a parent I have images that run through my mind of things I NEVER want to happen to me. Not big things, well those too, but in this case I'm talking about the little things. The circumstances where I won't know what to say or do because my child has caused a scene. You know, the moments that will be utterly embarrassing to me. Yup, it is all about ME today.

The crash. The sound of a million little pieces of glass hitting the floor. What I should have been thinking, "Oh, I hope everyone is ok." What I was thinking, "PLEASE don't let that have been my child causing that mess."

Trying to leave the Restoration Hardware outlet, Charlie pulled over a porcelain pedestal sink. I was in front of the pack with the stroller, Stephen was behind the pack trying to keep Jackson out of trouble, Avery and Charlie were in between being kids.

As Stephen was checking on Charlie, surrounded by big and little pieces of broken glass, I was consoling Avery who was upset that a) it was their fault and b) it was so loud. So at this point I am kind of thinking "are my children ok?" but the more penetrating thought is "wow, how much is that going to cost us?"

Thankfully, Charlie is bleeding. Whew, there is no way they are going to make us pay if there is an injury involved. I jest. Only so slightly.

Charlie somehow avoided getting really, really hurt. The sink, not attached to its pedestal, with the pedestal not attached to anything, fully fell over. He walked away with a minor cut on his pinky finger, Avery with a sore wrist from trying to catch the falling sink. As minor as the cut was, it was a bleeder. The management was so concerned about him and all the blood coming from his finger, that the broken sink was cleaned up without even a glance in our direction.

So here are some lessons learned.
Stephen and I will NEVER step foot in that outlet again, with or without children. We feel like they have a WANTED poster of us hanging behind the register.
Restoration Hardware will probably never place a freestanding, non-attached pedestal sink in the middle of a room.

1 comment:

  1. I find this very interesting, Susan :) Thanks for sending me the link. I'm glad Charlie was okay. I think it's pretty normal to have those same thoughts when you hear "the crash." :)

    ReplyDelete