Wednesday, March 3, 2010

grandma and her switchblade



Funny story.

Years back, my grandmother was visiting our house and was getting ready to leave. My mom was helping her with her faux leopard print swing coat in the kitchen. My grandmother went fumbling for a tissue or something from her pocket and came out with this pocket knife. Or rather, a switchblade.

I am not sure we ever got a definitive answer as to why she had this in her pocket. Especially since she was living in a nursing home and in her late seventies/early eighties.

But I am guessing after being a florist for so many years, she knew the value of having a knife handy.

I have used this knife many times, most recently during all of our unpacking. Not only is it useful, but I think of her every time I use it. Up until recently it was so dull you could run your finger across it and not get a cut. But Stephen sharpened it the other day and it is almost good as new (ok, not really, but good enough for opening boxes).

So Stephen thinks it is pretty funny that I have this knife and still use it. He has several small working knives around the house and they are invaluable. I just happen to have a stylish one with some history:)

Schrade Cut Company
US Patents on this knife:
February 13 06
February 26 07

Yup, over 100 years old.
(I am sure dad will do some research to see if it is worth anything on Ebay, but I'm not giving this up).

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I always knew you had a little Bonnie and Clyde in you.

    ReplyDelete