Monday, January 16, 2012

The needy stage

This afternoon I counted three consecutive hours that I was not asked for something by one of the three children. And yes, they were home. Dare I say I almost found myself bored??? It was a very strange feeling. Strange enough for me to recognize.

Since 2004 I have been needed almost every minute of every day. I love having the kids so close in age, but it has made for a pretty demanding six to seven years. Just when one was learning to be more independent, another infant came along. And even as toddlers and preschoolers, there has always been a need. A drink, food, toy behind a bed, etc. While I am certainly not one to jump the minute they ask for something, I despise the pestering "did you get my drink yet?" that occurs if the task isn't accomplished within five minutes.

Today all three played together without incident for three hours. When one came down to get his own drink, I asked if they maybe wanted to sit and read some stories together. "No, we're playing," was said over the shoulder as he went back upstairs to continue the game playing.

I have longed for this moment. Some peace and quiet to call my own without jumping up every few minutes to help someone. And here it was. It was as sweet as I imagined. Perhaps this is my independence day, can you imagine my post when all three are in school for the first time next year??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment